How Do Insurance Companies Investigate Car Accident Claims?

insurance companies investigate car accident claims

Car accidents are stressful, but the claim procedure for car insurance is no less stressful. The insurance company’s investigation process can take from 1 week to many months, depending on the type of claim and the details surrounding the accident.

When you file a claim with an insurance company for a traffic accident, it will go through the entire process leading to a settlement. An insurance company looks at a claim for an accident may change depending on the following-

  • Type and severity of the accident
  • Your Company Policy
  • Whether there was property damage, injury, or both

However, certain steps are common to most queries. In this essay, we will talk about those processes.

If you file a claim shortly after filing a claim, the insurance adjuster will be in charge of your case. The adjuster will go through your policy to make sure you have the coverage you need. He or she may call you to learn more about the accident.

In the course of the investigation, the adjuster may do the following:

  • Have a copy of the police report mailed and confirm it.
  • Make eye contact with the driver of the other party.
  • Talk to those who witnessed the accident.
  • To visit the accident site;
  • Find out if there is any damage to your car.
  • Take a picture of your car.
  • To view your medical records, you must sign a medical release form.
  • Contact your health care provider to get information about your injury costs.

Quick Enquiry Now

    Why does an insurance company need to do an accident investigation?

    The insurance company analyses the accident after the claim is filed for two basic reasons.

    The first reason is to protect them from vehicle insurance fraud by doing so. Car insurance companies ask policyholders and third-party claimants to prove their car accident claims with proof. They also send out adjudicators and investigators to find out what caused the accident that was said to have caused damage or injury.

    The second reason is that, in this way, the insurance company can properly review your claim. The cause of the accident and the amount of damage are often unclear. The best approach to solving such difficulties is to gather as much information and details as possible.

    As you can see, insurance companies are not looking for a reason to reject or delay your claim. The majority of claim adjusters simply want to handle these claims as quickly and fairly as possible. Also, car insurance companies don’t want the adjuster to deny the claim without first doing a thorough inspection. This is because it can lead to “dishonest” insurance claims.

    Medical support and vehicle repair

    Your insurance company will cover the cost of injuries and auto repairs at that point, and you will negotiate with the other party’s insurance company to determine who will ultimately pay.

    The first method of payment is “reparation,” which means covering any damage or loss. If it is determined that the other party is negligent, your insurance company will ask the other party for payment through a “replacement payment” procedure.


     There are various options to get the best repair for your car.

    1. Using a reliable body shop Your adjuster may require you to bring your car to an insurance company-approved store for cost estimates and repairs.
    2. Collect a quote. The adjuster may ask you to visit multiple stores of your choice, take a quote, and compare it.
    3. Choose a repair shop yourself. You have the option of having your car repaired wherever you like. However, you may have to pay the difference between the estimate presented by this store and the amount that the insurance company determines to be the right price.

    Medical expenses

    If you claim medical expenses for injuries caused by an accident, the insurance claim adjuster will require proof of those expenses.

    He or she might ask you to sign a form that gives your car insurance company permission to look at your medical records. Before you sign this form, you should talk to an experienced accident lawyer to find out if it’s in your best interest to do so. Once your records are retrieved, the information contained in them can be used to reduce the amount of money you receive from your insurance company.

    Review Your Version of Events 

    • To get the maximum price, you need to provide as much information as possible.
    • The adjuster will ask you questions about all the information you can recall.
    • You may also be asked to provide your insurance company with the following information: insurance card number (indicated on the insurance certificate), the date of the accident, where it happened, how it happened, the other person’s name and insurance information, the name of the police station involved, and (if applicable) the number of the police report,
    • Confirmation of public documents: The adjuster assesses the case through the investigation phase. His deputy can look through the following: Property damage estimate; police report; DMV accident report.

    Fault Determination

    One of the responsibilities of an insurance adjuster is to determine negligence. In most states, the driver’s negligence does not have to be 0% or 100%.

    The adjuster may decide that you are partly to blame for an accident. If your fault is 70% and the other party’s fault is 30%, your company may pay 70% of the settlement and the other party’s car insurance company may pay the remaining 30%. In some situations, it is also one of the options that the car insurance company of the most negligent driver will pay in full.

    Complaint Review

    The adjuster may look into evidence, such as medical records, when investigating a claim.

    • Evidence of property damage
    • Wage loss test
    • The role of the media

    What the adjuster looks into is that the insurance company may look for information about you online in addition to checking your claim history.

    They might check Facebook, Twitter, or other social media sites to see if you’re telling the truth. For example, if you said your car was damaged in an accident on Tuesday and then uploaded a picture of yourself on Wednesday with your car still in good shape, your insurance company might think you are trying to cheat them.

    The insurance company maintains a Special Investigation Unit to investigate possible fraud. On social media, you can protect yourself by changing your privacy settings so that only the people you have authorised can see your images.

    Try not to post photos and details about the accident on the Internet.

    Do not make false claims.

    How to resolve disputes about grievances If you are dissatisfied with the offer, you have several options.

    Request that your complaint be communicated to the supervisor of the adjuster.

    -To reach an agreement;

    -Submit an invoice to the Small Claims Court;

    – Ask a lawyer.

    Insurance investigations by AusCovert Investigations 

    Auscovert Investigations looks into insurance claims and talks to everyone involved to find out what happened. The survey may include field surveys, appropriate background checks, contractual obligations, agreements, and evaluations of legal standards.

    The information gathered will give the client enough information to make good decisions about possible legal liability. A thorough investigation of the problem can lead to the rejection of claims, a quick solution, or the finding of the person responsible and finding out where they are.

    All claims are investigated by skilled professionals who are experts in the following areas:

    Workers’ compensation, public liability, mandatory third parties, common law, income protection, and permanent and total disability are some of the things that are covered.

    Leave a Comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    Scroll to Top
    Scroll to Top